Saturday, July 27, 2013

Say cheese ........................ smile for the camera

     Well it is day three at La Selva (July 24).  We slept in until about 8am and went to do some camera trapping in the rainforest around 9am.  The comment about the small amount of rainfall in the past 2 days has come to haunt me.  It has rained so HARD here since 4 am.  We went in the heavy rain to place the cameras on the trees.  They do camera trappings of the animals in their natural habitat.  These camera have infrared triggers that takes pictures of the different animals so they can collect critical data about their behavior.  They secure the cameras onto the trees in the forest at knee level height.  As the animals are walking by, the camera will snap a photo which is triggered by the animal's movement.  Some animals will ignore the camera like peccaries but others will stare at the camera as if they were saying "cheese" like the monkeys.  The cameras are placed throughout the jungle and stays there for about 2 to 3 weeks before they are collected for data.  At La Selva due to the camera trappings, they were able to find 3 new felines in the area.  They mainly stay at the area close to the end of the swinging bridge but I have not seen them yet.  I am loving this part of the trip so far.  I am more of an animal person instead of a plant person so this is more fun than transecting the plants yesterday.    I am posting several pictures of me setting up the camera traps this morning.  Notice I have NO make up on and my hair does not look the best, but I just dont care now since we are soaking wet.
Placing the cord around the tree that secures the camera.


Placed the camera onto the tree at knee high level.

Securing the camera onto the tree!!!!! Gosh I look like my mom now.

Making sure it is secured

Turning on the camera !

A job well done!!!! Notice my backpack with a water bottle on one side and a coke on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment