Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games........................................

     Well, we were up at dawn, ate breakfast and loaded the van to La Selva around 830am.  I have never thought about traffic in San Jose but let me tell you, I have NEVER seen this kind of traffic in my life.  Cars and buses for fighting for a lane on the road.  There would be a bus and a car lined up beside each other on a lane that was meant for one vehicle.   Motorcycles were riding between the cars and buses and everyone was honking their horn.  I am not a good driver and I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to drive in this manner.  This makes my driving look like Morgan Freeman in "Driving with Ms Daisy".  I love that movie.  By the way, I am known as a speed demon on the road when I drive and NO ONE wants me to drive.
     Our bus ride to La Selva was about a 2 hour drive from the hotel.  It really did not seem that long because everyone was getting to know each other, talking and laughing.  Part of the town was pretty nice and I got to see the main hospital in San Jose.  It does not look like a nice hospital at all from the outside.  The building looks kinda old and run down but I read they give good health care though. Patients from the smaller hospitals in the surrounding areas, which I wish I could see, are transferred to the hospital when their condition requires more specialized care.  It is similar to the process in north Mississippi and on the coast.  I really wished I could have seen inside the hospital and the type of care patients receive there.  The nurse never leaves me.  Once a nurse always a nurse.  I was amazed though as the longer we roded we saw the poor part of San Jose.  It was sad. The houses were on top of each other on a hill.  It reminded me of Port of Prince in Haiti.  There were little fruit markets and small places to stop for a snack.  By the way, they sell no Mountain Dew, just coke in glass bottles.  It has been forever since I had a coke in a glass bottle and it was so good.  
     We arrived at La Selva around 1030 or 11am.  This place is so different from any place I have ever been.  We are certainly in the jungle.  We got our luggage all 50 lbs of my luggage and walked a mile to our cabin.  Well, they drove our luggage to the cabin but we still walked the mile.  I was just amazed with everything on our first walk to the cabin.  The ground is wet, heavy amount of moss, huge plant leaves, canopy of leaves from the many trees which provided us with plenty of shade during our walk.  We got to our cabin and no surprise, there was no air conditioner only ceiling fans.  Thank goodness I brought a small fan for my bedside.  There is a balcony with 2 chairs so we can sit and look at the rain forest.  After we got settled, we walked a mile to the cafeteria for lunch.  
     After lunch, Kenneth, our guide, talked to us about safety.  He is head of the department for the education of the rain forest.  His knowledge is AMAZING.  He is also a character which makes him a great host.  We went on our first hike and we were SO excited.  He showed us different plants and trees.  He talked about the battle ants, the mother of all ants.  We heard monkeys talking but did not see any at this time.  I enjoyed EVERY minute of it.  Everything I read and try to teach my students about adaptation and survival of the fittest is actually happening in the rain forest. and I get to witness it.  It is too exciting.      We had our supper then we went to an air conditioned classroom room where Morgan talked about the things we will be doing on our trip.  We also met Peggy and her husband Steve who are also experts and love to work with our groups. Morgan and Peggy are our hosts for the trip.  We finally went to our cabin and I was asleep as soon as I laid down.  So far, an amazing day!!!!!!!
I am in front of the van that took us to La Selva.  Notice the guy loading the many 50 lbs bags of luggage on top of the van.
 

Lynn, Robin, Carole and myself on are way to La Selva.  I look so tired from the traveling yesterday.  Well, I was tired!!!!!!
We just arrived at La Selva.  I have no idea what happened to my hair and Lynn's looks like a model for that matter.  

This is Kenneth our guide.  He is giving us our safety presentation.  Speaks very good English
I am on a bridge at our first hike.  Notice the hat, and shirt they gave us.  I am rocking the backpack and rain boots.
This is a battle ant.  It is at least 1 inch long.  They have huge jaws and their bite will sting and hurt for at least 8 hours.  They are also known as predators. 
This is an ant mound of the battle ants.  I think this one is huge and look at the huge holes and tunnels these ants have created.  Amazing!!!!!!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment