Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The day we found out that we got selected to go to Costa Rica

Well, I went on with life for about a month after we submitted our presentation to go to Costa Rica.  My husband Scott and I were talking one weekend because I have not heard anything yet, I told him that I did not think we were selected.  Mainly, because this does not happen to me.  We had a great presentation and our chances were great to be selected for this trip.  
     On April 16th, I received a phone text from Robin (one of the teachers in my group) on my way home from school.  I was stopped at a long red light and when I read the text, I just screamed.  There was a car right beside me looking at me very strange because I was in the car by myself screaming.  The first person I called was my husband and my dad.  They were so happy for me and the other three teachers.  You have to understand, only 4 teams of 4 teachers are selected to go out of the whole United States!!!!!  Shortly after I got home I call my daughter Ashley and my sister in law Margo to tell them the good news.  Well both of them laughed on the phone and were very shocked I am going since I am not an outdoor person at ALL!  My sweet principal looked at me with amazement of the thought I am going to Costa Rica.  I would have love to known what he was thinking at that time.  The look was priceless but he is extremely supportive of me going on the trip.  Nothing compares to the reaction my oldest and dearest friend of 25 years Shirley Davis Belk.  Her statement was "I want watch taped episodes of you kayaking in the river with crocodiles while the snakes are watching!".  I have to admit I laughed so hard when I read that comment on facebook!   So it starts the preparation of getting ready to board the plane for Costa Rica.  The next day I went to the post office in Biloxi for my passport and picture.  Shocked to find out it was 150 dollars to obtain a passport.  I have no criminal background and I am not a terrorist, so I felt certain there would be no problem.  It took about 4 weeks for my passport to come in the mail.  For the first time, I actually have a passport. 
            This is my dearest friend Shirley Belk.  She came to visit me last June.  Her reaction of me going to Costa Rica was priceless!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment